The Bark

Sobrato Students So Sleepy?

Danny Burnham, The Bark Staff Reporter

Sleep is a very important thing to a teenager. After a long day at school, most students can’t wait to jump back into bed, but homework, sports, and other extracurricular activities diminish this amount of sleep. Are teens even getting enough sleep?

According to the National Sleep Foundation, teens need about nine and a half hours of sleep. Most teens do not get enough sleep, in fact, only about 15 percent of teens get eight and a half hours of sleep on school nights.
There are also many consequences from not getting enough sleep. The NSF said that sleep deprivation can limit a person’s ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems, make a student more prone to pimples, cause weight gain, and lead to aggressive behavior.

“I usually get around nine hours of sleep a night, but I sometimes do have insomnia issues,” said junior Tara Schwarzenbach, “When I can’t fall asleep, I stress out, and that stress makes it even more difficult to fall back asleep. It becomes a vicious cycle.”

Insomnia is a more prevalent issue today and this generation of technology is to blame. The NSF said that 95 percent of Americans use some form of technology right before going to bed. This includes surfing the Internet, smart phones, video games and watching television.

Bryce Kupper, junior, does not have insomnia issues, but only gets around seven hours of sleep a night.

“I do use my cell phone before going to bed,” said Kupper. He goes onto YouTube or listens to music before going to bed.

“It is sometimes a distraction,” said Kupper.
Allison Harvey, a professor of sleep and psychology at University of California Berkley said that video games or social networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, are interactive technologies that keep people alert. This alertness right before bed will take away from a person’s quality of sleep. Harvey recommends an “electronic curfew.” Turn off all technology 30 minutes before going to bed.

“I usually read before going to bed,” said Schwarzenbach.  She doesn’t use any electronics before going to bed.

Teenagers should also turn their cell phones off while they sleep. It is not ideal for students trying to get some decent sleep when they are woken up by text messages at 3 a.m.
When well-rested, students will lead healthier lives and will perform better in school. Below are some tips from the NSF that students should follow to get enough sleep:

• Make sleep a priority, go to bed early.
  • Turn off all technology 30 minutes before going to bed.
  • Avoid caffeine and soda
  • Don’t put off your homework till the last minute, finish it early.
  • Keep a consistent bedtime and wake-up time

All the Ann Sobrato High news that's fit to scoop.
Sobrato Students So Sleepy?