The Bark

Game, Set, Smash

Ginny Laskodi, The Bark Reporter

With over half of Sobrato’s badminton team being underclassmen, many of whom have never picked up a racket before this year, there is a lot of work to be done for this year’s team. Although some people may think of this as an obstacle too difficult to overcome, team captain Kyle Dimla looks at this more positively.

“The goal for this year is to train the underclassmen because they have the potential to become to leaders of this team,” said Dimla, a senior.

Dimla has played on the Sobrato badminton team since his freshman year, and he is excited to finish off his final season strong.

“Playing for the final season is bittersweet and stressful as a team captain, but it’s been fun to lead the team throughout the season,” said Dimla.

Even though the team is in the C Division of the Blossom Valley Athletic League, they have kept their spirits up. For many members, badminton is more than winning or losing. For some, it’s about building friendships with people they might have never met without badminton.

“A lot of underclassmen joined,” said Josephine Ngo, a sophomore team captain. “I got to know more people this year.”

Now that the team is mostly underclassmen, there is a much better chance that the team can move up a division in the coming years, since the members have two or three more years of learning how to play the game. Assistant coach, Karen Tayson, has set goals for this year’s freshmen and sophomores.

“This year’s goals for the underclassmen is to train with the experienced players,” Tayson said. “As long as they can improve, then I’m happy.”

This next generation of students is the future of the team. Even though many talented seniors are leaving the team after this season, there are many opportunities for the team to get even better within the upcoming seasons. The underclassmen will soon prove that they are a force to be reckoned with.

All the Ann Sobrato High news that's fit to scoop.
Game, Set, Smash